[isabelle-dev] Future and maintainance of ~isabelle/contrib_devel at TUM NFS
florian.haftmann at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Sat Jun 16 11:28:21 CEST 2012
concerning this matter Alex and I had a conversation, and here a short
summary of the main points.
The questions are:
1. How to provide developers »out there« with components?
2. How to deal with the fact that the area of platform-neutral
components is over?
3. How to ensure that different developers need not to invent the wheel
over and over?
Concerning 1., the basic infrastructure is already there (cf.
* store components as tarball in nfsbroy:/home/isabelle/public_components
* download from http://isabelle.in.tum.de/devel/components/
We have just to agree to maintain it more seriously. Additional
infrastructure (e.g. a wget script) can emerge over time.
* The time of symlinks is over.
* Instead, there is a dedicated file (currently
Admin/contributed_components) thanks to mira
So far the basics. However, also the time of platform-universal
components is gone. Let me quote Alex:
> a) Subdirectories for each platform
> Then, the universal component packages must be copied, symlinked or
> b) Different packages for different platforms, roughly as it is now...
> Then we need a /Admin/contributed_components file for each
> platform, which lists the components relevant for that platform.
I would prefer both indeed:
a) architecture-sensitive organisation, but with universal components
directly under contrib (as is the case now)
b) separate component files for different platforms
So far the fundamentals. (3) is a softer issue which can be discussed
in a separate mail and is not so essential to start with.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 262 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the isabelle-dev